Why law firms should consider offering over-the-phone interpreting (OPI) and video remote interpreting (VRI).
While English is often the language of choice in business affairs across the globe, it is not always the case for legal proceedings. According to the most recent survey, 25 million U.S residents are considered limited English proficient (LEP) speakers. For these individuals, language access is a civil right in and outside of courts. As Vanita Gupta, Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General expressed: “Barriers to language access can interfere with the capacity of state courts to accurately evaluate the facts and fairly administer justice. And they can also place unfair and unconstitutional burdens on individuals.
Without language services such as over-the-phone interpreting (OPI) and video remote interpreting (VRI), all involved participants can’t fully take part in the proceedings. But before heading to courts, law firms must overcome their own language barriers in order to accurately represent their clients.
When do law firms require the assistance of interpreters?
- Communication – without understanding your clients hence getting the facts correctly, misunderstandings are bound to happen. Your law firm is better positioned when your team fully understands the circumstances and is able to give proper representation.
- Examination under oath – If it is your firm’s responsibility to provide interpreting services, be sure to work with a language service provider (LSP) that’s got years of experience in your field.
- Deposition testimony – If your legal team is taking the deposition and is responsible for selecting an interpreter for the witnesses, be sure to inquire about their certifications and regulatory compliance.
What to look for in a language service provider?
You need to use subject matter experts as interpreters. Your legal interpreting needs must be handled by qualified and certified interpreters who have experience in the legal industry. With over 25 years of providing language services, Avantpage offers round-the-clock, over-the-phone interpreting (OPI) and video remote interpreting (VRI). With fast connection times, and over 250 languages, our interpreters meet the following requirements:
- 100% fluent in their supported language pairs.
- Bound by confidentiality agreements and code of conduct.
- Up-to-date certifications including Federal Court Interpreter Certification, State Interpreter Certification, National Association of Judiciary Interpreters and Translators (NAJIT) Certification, DSHS Interpreter Designation, as well Certified Deaf Interpreter (CDI), and American Sign Language (ASL) for VRI.
We can help you with your next legal interpreting needs. Contact us at 530-750-2040, firstname.lastname@example.org, or request a free quote to get started today.
Helene manages Avantpage’s marketing activities. She cares for the company’s brand, content creation, and customer-facing communication. With Empathy Beyond Words, Helene thrives to assist Avantpage with its mission: to help immigrant and LEP communities achieve their American Dream through translation services.